A bad hard-boil egg can ruin your breakfast. Have you had a complementary hotel breakfast where you grab a hard boil egg from the breakfast buffet only to find out later that it’s overcooked – gray-green ring around the yolk. Yuck.
The perfect hard-boiled egg has no green ring around the yolk; the yolk is creamy and mellow; and if you want, you can stop short of the hard-boil and make a gooey soft-boiled egg instead.
How Long Does It Take to Boil An Egg
- For soft-boiled eggs: 4 minutes
- For slightly soft-boiled eggs: 5 minutes
- For custardy yet firm soft-boiled eggs: 6 minutes
- For creamy hard-boiled eggs: 7 minutes
- For firm yet still creamy hard-boiled eggs: 8 minutes
- For very firm hard boiled eggs: 9 minutes